THE STORY OF US

THE STORY OF US
                
                                              
                                            I took you on a Cleveland afternoon,

our passion rose as sun dripped through the glass,

your temples sweated drops of liquid moon,

we floated in a temporal balloon.


Your rescue in Detroit in mid-July,

we needed something different in our veins,

I opened up your wings to get you high,

you licked my cheeks as I began to cry.


Your Philadelphia sunlight on our vow,

our radiated love from healthy skin,

we strode onto the stage and made our bow,

I shouted to the world: "Look at her now!"


I stumbled on the rocky roads of Maine,

we hoped it was a case of writer's block,

you smiled and took a photo of my pain,

Our thirst was quenched by scented summer rain.


You wanted me in Rocky Mountain snow,

we held each other tight against the cold,

I whispered many secrets you should know,

our winter loving soft and warm and slow.


We laughed together down in Monterey,

I kissed the lovely lines beside your eyes,

our baptism in holy ocean spray,

you smiled and made confession on that day.


I lost you on a San Diego street,

you sobbed a sordid "sorry" and you died,

our horoscope had told me not to cheat,

we burned you as I wept beneath your feet.